Salzburg, Austria

Salzburg, Austria

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Monday in Munich




We started the day waiting a little worriedly for our driver to arrive. Robin was most nervous and began looking outside the hotel lobby for anyone who might be there to pick us up. At one point she had a little guy follow her in the lobby who didn't speak English and had the clerk ask him if we was there to pick up 6 women and take them to the train station. Turned out he was not. We wondered why in the world he followed Robin into the lobby of he hotel. It was hilarious!

The Eurorail ride to Munich was 4 hours and was a great ride. I recommend it for anyone traveling in Europe. That afternoon we rode the Hop On, Hop Off bus and got a 2 and a half hour tour of the city. It was interesting.

Facts about Munich:

1. founded in 1158

2. over 1000 trains come into Munich each day

3. 1 million, 300 thousand people live there

4. the first McDonald's in Munich was built for the 1972 Olympic games



I got to visit the site of the 72 Olympic site. That was special for me since my brother, Stanley, had gone there to see the Olympics that year. Perhaps I walked some of the same ground he had.



I have to be honest and say that Munich is not a place I would ever wish to return to. It is too big and not very attractive or easy to navigate. Pictures will be posted when I return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment